- Great Cumbray
- GREAT CUMBRAY. See Cumbray, Great.And all places having a similar distinguishing prefix, will be found under the proper name.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Cumbray, Great — CUMBRAY, GREAT, an island and parish, in the county of Bute, 2 miles (W.) from Largs; including the villages of Millport and Newton, and containing 1413 inhabitants. The name is derived from a Gaelic term signifying a bold or steep coast… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Millport — MILLPORT, a village, in the parish of Great Cumbray, county of Bute; containing 817 inhabitants. This is a modern village, pleasantly situated in the south east corner of the island, and having a commodious harbour capable of admitting vessels … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Newton — 1) NEWTON, a village, in the parish of Great Cumbray, Isle and county of Bute; containing 444 inhabitants. It is seated at the head of a capacious and finelysheltered harbour, called Kames bay, where vessels of considerable burthen may have… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Fairley-Road — (spr. Fährlih Rohd), Meerenge (Theil des Clyd Busens des Irischen Meeres) zwischen der Insel Great Cumbray u. der Grafschaft Air (südliche Westküste von Schottland) … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Stevenston — STEVENSTON, a market town and parish, in the district of Cunninghame, county of Ayr, 5 miles (W. N. W.) from Irvine, and 14 (N. N. W.) from Ayr; containing 3791 inhabitants, of whom 1432 are in that portion of the town of Saltcoats which is… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Girvan — GIRVAN, a busy sea port, market town, and parish, in the district of Carrick, county of Ayr, 29 miles (N. N. E.) from Stranraer, and 97 (S. W. by W.) from Edinburgh; containing 8000 inhabitants. Girvan is supposed to have derived its name from … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Kilbride, West — KILBRIDE, WEST, a parish, in the district of Cunninghame, county of Ayr, 5½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Saltcoats; containing 1885 inhabitants. This place derives its name from the dedication of its church, which was anciently an appendage of the … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Buteshire — BUTESHIRE, a county, on the western coast of Scotland, consisting of the isles of Bute, Arran, InchMarnock, and Great and Little Cumbray, in the Firth of Clyde; separated on the north from Argyllshire by the straits called the Kyles of Bute,… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Kingarth — KINGARTH, a parish, in the county of Bute, 8 miles (S. by E.) from Rothesay; containing, with the villages of Kilchattan Bay, Kerrycroy, and Piperhall, 931 inhabitants. This parish takes its name from the promontory of Garroch Head, forming… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Bute  — Bute (Bjuht), schott. Insel zu der gleichnamigen Grafschaft gehörig. an der Südküste von Cowal, 15 engl. Meil. lang, 3 breit. mit 9900 E., im Norden gebirgig und rauh, im Süden eine niedrige Sandfläche, doch fruchtbar und angebaut, mit Trümmern… … Herders Conversations-Lexikon